Applications are open for the 2023 SyracuseCoE Industry Collaboration Summer Internship Program. The deadline to apply is February 24, 2023.
Awards of up to $3,000 to SyracuseCoE Partner Program member companies that offer meaningful summer internship experiences to students.
Experiential Learning in CNY
This program pairs students with industry professionals in science, engineering and architecture fields, giving them opportunities to develop professional and technical skills in a real-world environments.
The goals of the program include fostering valuable relationships between students and local firms, increasing post-graduation student retention in Central New York.
To apply, firms must be current members of the 2022-23 SyracuseCoE Partner Program. The internship must offer students pre-professional or academically relevant experiences. No more than 20% of the intern’s time may be spent on routine office/factory work. Compensation must meet or exceed Federal minimum wage standards and be consistent with company wage structure for similar internships.
Partner companies do not need to pre-select a student intern to apply and companies may submit more than one application. The review of companies’ internship applications will be primarily based on the proposed scope of work. Decisions may be expected in early March.
After notification of award from SyracuseCoE, companies must submit the name of the selected student intern by May 15, 2023.
Syracuse University’s CASE Co-op Program may be able to administer the payroll portion of student salaries for Syracuse University students hired by companies.
How to Apply
The review of companies internship applications will be primarily based on the proposed scope of work, outlined in the questions and selection criteria, below.
- Does the project fit with SyracuseCoE focus areas?
- How will the project contribute to growth of the company and to the local economy?
- How will the student’s work be technically-focused, complex and meaningful?
- How will the student gain expertise that may result in future employment opportunities?
Number of Internships
For 2023, SyracuseCoE intends to fund up to 6 summer internships, for up to $3,000 each.
- Selected students must be enrolled in a part- or full-time degree program at an accredited college or university.
- SyracuseCoE internship support will pay wages only.
- Employer must assume all other costs of employment, including but not limited to, payroll taxes, worker’s compensation, insurance, etc.
- Employer must send invoices for student’s wages to SyracuseCoE, including payroll records (e.g. signed timesheets) documenting hours worked. Final invoices must be received no later than August 31, 2023.
- Employer must identify and provide a mentor, committing to meet with them for at least one hour weekly.
- Interns cannot be self-employed, employed or supervised by a family member, or employed by a lobbying organization.
- Interns will be invited to SyracuseCoE networking events during the summer. They must develop and present an end-of-summer poster showcasing their project(s). Event dates will be announced on or before June 30, 2023.
- Employers must provide interns and SyracuseCoE with a written evaluation of the intern’s performance. Final payment to hosting company is contingent on proper submittal of this evaluation.
Please direct any questions to Tammy Rosanio at firstname.lastname@example.org. This program is made possible with support from SyracuseCoE Partner Program members. To date, 42 companies and more than 125 students have participated.
Beyond this summer internship opportunity: If your firm is in need of student interns to provide technical support at any time during the year, contact Leah Isgar at Syracuse University’s CASE Center’s Co-Op program.